This Policy does not apply to personal information collected by Goodman Chartered Accountants that is exempted under the Privacy Act, for example employee records.
2. Personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect include:
- name, job titles, contact and address details;
- information in identification documents (for example: passport, driver's licence);
- tax file numbers and other government-issued identification numbers;
- date of birth and gender;
- bank account details, shareholdings and details of investments;
- details of superannuation and insurance arrangements;
- educational qualifications, employment history and salary;
- visa or work permit status; and
- personal information about your spouse and dependants
It may be necessary in some circumstances for Goodman Chartered Accountants to collect sensitive information about you in order to provide specific services or for recruiting purposes.
Examples of the types of sensitive information that may be collected in such circumstances include professional memberships, ethnic origin, criminal record and health information.
It is generally not practical to remain anonymous or to use a pseudonym when dealing with Goodman Chartered Accountants as usually we need to use your personal information to provide specific services to you, or which relate to or involve you.
3. How we collect and manage personal information
3.1 How we collect personal information
Generally we collect your personal information from you directly (for example, when we deal with you in person or over the phone, when you send us correspondence (including via email), when you complete a questionnaire, form or survey, or when you subscribe to our publications). Sometimes it may be necessary for us to collect your personal information from a third party. For example, we may collect your personal information from your employer where they are our client, from your personal representative, or a publicly available record.
We may also collect personal information about you from your use of our websites and information you provide to us through contact mailboxes or through the registration process on our websites.
3.2 Where you provide us with personal information about someone else
3.3 Holding personal information
Goodman Chartered Accountants hold personal information in hard copy and electronic formats. We take security measures to protect the personal information we hold including physical (for example, storage of files in lockable cabinets) and technology (for example, restriction of access, firewalls, the use of encryption, passwords and digital certificates) security measures. We also have document retention policies and processes.
3.4 Purpose for collecting, holding, using ad disclosing personal information
Goodman Chartered Accountants collects, hold and uses personal information for a number of purposes including:
- to provide professional services;
- to provide technology services and solutions;
- to respond to requests or queries;
- to maintain contact with our clients and other contacts (including alumni);
- to keep our clients and other contacts informed of our services and industry developments;
- to notify of seminars and other events;
- for administrative purposes;
- for recruitment purposes;
- for purposes relating to the employment of our personnel, providing internal services or benefits to our proprietor and staff and for matters relating to the business;
- when engaging service providers, contractors or suppliers relating to the operation of our business;
- to manage any conflict of interest or independence (including auditor independence) obligations or situations;
- to conduct surveys;
- for seeking your feedback;
- to meet any regulatory obligations;
- as part of an actual (or proposed) acquisition, disposition, merger or de-merger of a business (including Goodman Chartered Accountants business) or entering into an alliance, joint venture or referral arrangement; or
- for any other business related purposes.
If you do not provide us with the personal information we have requested, we may not be able to complete or fulfil the purpose for which such information was collected, including providing you or our clients with the services we were engaged to perform.
The types of third parties to whom we may disclose your personal information include:
- experts or other third parties contracted as part of an engagements;
- our service providers;
- our professional advisers;
- as part of an engagement, if you are a customer, an employee, a contractor or supplier of services to one of our clients, then we may disclose your personal information as part of providing services to that client;
- as part of an actual (or proposed) acquisition, disposition, merger or de-merger of a business or to enter into an alliance, joint venture or referral arrangement; or
- Government or regulatory bodies or agencies, as part of an engagement or otherwise, (for example, the Australian Taxation Office).
We do not disclose personal information to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to send marketing material to you. However, we may share non personal, de-identified or aggregated information to them for research or promotional purposes.
4. Direct Marketing
Goodman Chartered Accountants may also use your personal information for the purpose of marketing its services. If you do not want o receive marketing material from us, you can contact us as detailed below:
- for electronic communications, you can click on the unsubscribe function in the communication; or
- for hard copy communications, you can mail email@example.com; or
- through our contact details below.
5. Privacy on our websites
"Cookies" (i.e. small text files placed on your computer when you first visit the site) are used on some Goodman Chartered Accountants websites. Most browsers now recognise when a cookie is offered and permit you to refuse or accept it. If you are not sure whether your browser has this capability, you should check with the software manufacturer, you company's technology help desk or our internet service provider.
Cookies are primarily used to enhance you online experience. If you visit our websites to read or download information, such as news stories or articles, much of the information we collect is statistical only (e.g., the domain from which you accessed the internet , the date and time you accessed our site, and the internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site) and not personally identifiable. We use such information to make our sites more useful and attractive to you.
5.2 Your choices
You have several choices regarding your use of Goodman Chartered Accountants websites. In general, you are not required to provide personal information when you visit our websites. However, if you apply to receive information about our services, events and industry updates or wish to apply for a job, provision of certain personal information will generally be required.
5.3 Links to third party websites
We understand the importance of protecting children's privacy, especially in an online environment. In particular, our websites are not intentionally designed for or directed at children under the age of 13. It is our policy to never knowingly collect or maintain information about anyone under the age of 13, except as part of a specific engagement to provide professional services which necessitates such personal information be collected.
7. Gaining access to personal information we hold
You can request access to your personal information, subject to some limited exceptions permitted or required by law. Such request must be made in writing to the Privacy Officer. Please see the 'How to contact us' section for details.
Goodman Chartered Accountants may charge reasonable costs for providing you access to your personal information.
8. Keeping personal information current
If you believe that any personal information Goodman Chartered Accountants has collected about you is inaccurate, not up-to-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, you may request correction. To do so, please contact the Privacy Officer and we will take reasonable steps to correct it in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act. Please see the 'How to contact us' section for details as to how to contact the Privacy Officer.
If you wish to make a complaint to Goodman Chartered Accountants about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the
Privacy Officer as set out in the 'How to contact us' section. You will be asked to set out the details of your complaint in writing in a form provided.
Goodman Chartered Accountants will endeavour to reply to you within 30 days of receipt of the completed complaint form and, where appropriate, will advise you of the general reasons for the outcome of the complaint. In some circumstances, the Privacy Officer may decline to investigate the complaint, for example if the complaint relates to an act or practice that is not an interference of the privacy of the person making the complaint. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
10. How to contact us
Goodman Chartered Accountants
P.O. Box 475
SMITHFIELD QLD 4878
T: +61 7 4038 8888
F: +61 7 4038 2283